OFFICIAL RECCE EVENTS DELIVERED BY DRAGON’S BACK RACE® EVENT PARTNER – RAW ADVENTURES
Benefits for #TeamRAW Dragons
- Official Recce Events support your increase in stamina/fitness throughout the year
- Extensive Dragon's Back Race® route knowledge and mountain running skills input
- Qualified #TeamRAW Run Guides with specific Dragon's Back Race® and/or Event Team experience
- Expertly organised itineraries work for all; professional planning and delivery in all weathers
- Essential ‘Technical Dragons’ skills and confidence building for rocky terrain – we love Crib Goch!
- Be the first to hear about potential course amendments; we have our ears to the ground...
- Meet other friendly #DragonsInTraining and #TeamRAW Run Guides; make lasting connections
- Superb group accommodation/food options for some Recce Event dates
- Transport always costed in and organised; no fussy car drops required
- Official Recce Events WhatsApp group for connections, motivation and information
- Dragon's Back Race® inspired RAW Adventures Multiwrap for every #TeamRAW Dragon
- BOOK EARLY to organise your training and race calendars
- MONEY BACK book any 5 x days (or more) in 1 x transaction and receive £60 back!
Great day out with Kate on part of DBR Day 1. Enjoyed rain, hail, snow(!) ... and then more hail. Poor visibility added to the challenge...but Kate made it a great learning experience for kit choices, navigation, moving on technical ground. A real confidence boost. Thanks Kate. Thoroughly recommend RAW Adventures recces.
Caroline - May 2021
I can honestly say I have had an amazing few days out on the hills with you, Lou and others over the last few weeks. You are all so professional, patient, tolerant and just so friendly (and non-judgmental when people ask lots of questions!) If miracles happen and I make it to Cardiff to collect my Dragon, you will have definitely been part of that reason.
Sophie - August 2021
Thank you for organising a brilliant Mountain Skills weekend. The content was incredibly useful and I have an understanding of mountain navigation that I'm incredibly keen to build upon. Joe was a great teacher and had so much insight into mountain navigation, running and DBR. This weekend represented a big shift in me moving towards being more self-reliant.
Bobbie - April 2022
These Official Recce Events are open to ANYONE interested in learning more about the Dragon’s Back Race® route now, or for the future. You do not need to be a current race entrant.
Official Recce Events for all runners
Book any 5x days (or more) in 1x transaction and receive £60 back!
These Dragon’s Back Race® Recce Events are managed and delivered by RAW Adventures, an Event Partner to race organiser, Ourea Events. RAW Adventures’ co-founder and experienced Winter Mountain Leader, Kate Worthington has worked on the Dragon's Back Race® as part of its complex and dynamic Event Team in 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2022. In 2021 she chose to experience the event from the runner’s side, beating the oppressive heat and ran smoothly until the end of Day 5, where a leg injury informed her decision to safely descend from Pen y Fan. Kate is now training specifically again to enter the 2023 Dragon's Back Race®.
Kate is an experienced mountain runner, Mountain Leader in summer and winter and #TeamRAW Run Guide and loves exploring mountainous places on foot. She is also a UK Athletics Fell and Trail Leader in Running Fitness (FT LiRF) and guided on every Dragon's Back Race® Ourea Events Recces in 2019 and multiple #TeamRAW Official Recce Events in 2020, 2021 and 2022.
For Official Recce Events, Kate works with excellent #TeamRAW Run Guides, who also have numerous mountain-based qualifications, personal running experience and have either worked with the Dragon's Back Race® Event Team or have run in the event as a participant. You’ll be in excellent company and have no shortage of advice and support as you prepare for your Dragon’s Back Race®.
Who will you meet on your Dragon’s Back Race® Recce Events?
Don't just take our word for it...
Thank you for a wonderful time on Recce Events for Days 1 & 3 (even with the biblical weather on Day 1). Lou, Mike and Jade were each extremely knowledgeable, and had great area and terrain insight to share. The groups had a variety of abilities but you somehow managed to keep it all functioning and moving along to everyone's satisfaction, great skills. Can't wait to get on the next day. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to upskill and/or familiarise themselves with the outdoors.
Steve - May 2020
An amazing recce with Kate from RAW Adventures today of Day 1 from CP12 down to Camp 1 – the Snowdon Horseshoe. Weather was perfect, great scrambling over Crib Goch. Thank you Kate for your patience. Highly recommend these Recce Events; lots of great tips and advice, which help to highlight things I need to work on!
Nichola - April 2021
Can only echo what others have said. Thanks all for an epic weekend. Thanks Kate for booking the weather! Great to meet everyone and thanks to the group for wonderful company. Also, a very important thank you for some brilliant work by Mountain Leaders. Can't imagine trying to get through that without the strength of the group and confidence of the Mountain Leaders! A real confidence booster.
Eliot - April 2022
RAW Adventures provide a high ratio of specifically experienced and qualified #TeamRAW Run Guides to allow safe and logical progression in the hills. These Official Recce Events are designed and managed as ‘guided’ events, where you can be sure of professional and seamless organisation, clarity of objectives and a feeling of being well supported and included at all times. Teams will move together; increasing levels of safety, the ability to manage transport logistics and timings and encouraging runners to find genuine ‘running partners’ and contacts for your Dragon's Back Race® and beyond. RAW Adventures holds comprehensive insurance for mountain activities and prioritises individuals’ safety and enjoyment at all times.
#TeamRAW 2021 Dragon's Back Race® finishers said...
RAW Adventures Kate, Lou, Jade and Katie were a massive help with advice on recces. Your team were a big part of me getting to the end and if anyone asks me, they will be told to see Kate at RAW Adventures!
Geoff - DBR Finisher 2021
Thanks for seeing me over the line and for the amazing part you played in preparing me for the race. It didn’t quite go to plan, ha, but without the prep I wouldn’t have made it even halfway!
Oliver - DBR Finisher 2021
Thanks for all your support before and during the event. It was an amazing experience.
Tim - DBR Finisher 2021
Recce Event costs include:
- 1-3 #TeamRAW Run Guides, depending on group size/terrain
- Time taken to plan route/transport/resource arrangements to meet Recce Event objectives
- Transport logistics and costs to accommodate linear routes
- Overnight accommodation and meals (where specified)
- Group safety equipment and communications
- Valley support driver/transport in certain locations
- Planning and preparation to ensure the best route is achieved in forecasted conditions
- Expert Dragon's Back Race® route knowledge and advice
- Copies of all photos taken by #TeamRAW Run Guides
- Dragon's Back Race® themed Multiwrap headwear
- Access to RAW Official Dragon's Back Race® Recce Events ‘WhatsApp’ groups for ongoing support
- Superb running experiences in Wales with other #DragonsInTraining!
Recce Event costs do not include:
- Personal running kit and equipment
- Personal map and/or compass/GPS device
- Food/drink for Recce Event running days
- Personal and travel insurance
- Car park/personal accommodation and travel costs (when applicable)
Many thanks for an excellent weekend covering Day 3 of the Dragon’s Back Race. Expert guidance and guiding in a very friendly and relaxed environment. Jade and Mike were very helpful and good company too. I would certainly recommend you for future Recce Events.
Tim - May 2021
I'd just like to say a huge thank you to Kate and Lou for a great day out, it was great fun, and invaluable too...also great to meet up with some other DBR entrants. Lots of really good advice and tips; the wind, cloud and rain made the day even more invaluable!
Samantha - May 2021
Thanks; I’ve enjoyed the last couple of days spent on the Day 1 Recce Event. Conditions weren’t easy, but a great learning curve for what can happen when it’s wet, windy, cold & very poor visibility. Lovely group of people, lots of laughs and smiles. Also a huge thanks to Joe, Mike & Tim who have a wealth of knowledge and experience that everyone should definitely tap into. Look forward to the next one.