Official Recce Events delivered by Dragon's Back Race® event partner RAW Adventures
Benefits for #TeamRAW Dragons
- Extensive Dragon's Back Race® route knowledge and expert mountain skills input
- Recce Events compliment your training, increasing stamina/fitness throughout the year
- Qualified #TeamRAW Run Guides with Dragon's Back Race® and/or Event Team experience
- Expertly organised itineraries work for all; professional planning and delivery in all weathers
- Essential ‘Technical Dragons’ skills for rocky terrain – we love Crib Goch!
- Meet other friendly #DragonsInTraining and #TeamRAW Run Guides; make lasting connections
- Superb group accommodation/food options for some Recce Event dates
- Transport always costed in and organised; no fussy car drops required
- Official Recce Events WhatsApp group for connections, motivation and information
- Dragon's Back Race® inspired RAW Adventures Multiwrap for every #TeamRAW Dragon
- BOOK EARLY to organise your training and race calendars
Great day out with Kate on part of DBR Day 1. Enjoyed rain, hail, snow(!) ... and then more hail. Poor visibility added to the challenge...but Kate made it a great learning experience for kit choices, navigation, moving on technical ground. A real confidence boost. Thanks Kate. Thoroughly recommend RAW Adventures recces.
Thanks for an epic weekend. Great to meet everyone and thanks to the group for wonderful company. Also, a very important thank you for some brilliant work by Mountain Leaders. Can't imagine trying to get through that without the strength of the group and confidence of the Mountain Leaders! A real confidence booster.
We thoroughly enjoyed our Technical Dragons Recce Event on Sunday. It was awesome to do Snowdon Horseshoe in glorious weather and we loved the group interaction. Thanks again to Helen, yourself, Jade and John for facilitating the day and for the useful expert knowledge tips.
These Official Recce Events are open to ANYONE interested in learning more about the Dragon’s Back Race® route now, or for the future. You do not need to be a current race entrant.
Official Recce Events for all runners
These Dragon’s Back Race® Official Recce Events are managed and delivered by RAW Adventures, an Event Partner to race organiser, Ourea Events. Kate Worthington is a co-founder of RAW Adventures and an experienced Summer and Winter Mountain Leader and UK Athletics Fell and Trail Leader in Running Fitness (FT LiRF). Kate has worked on the Dragon's Back Race® as part of its complex and dynamic Event Team in 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2022.
In 2021 she chose to experience the event from a runner’s side, beating the oppressive heat and ran smoothly until near the end of Day 5, where a hip and knee issue resulted in retiring from Pen y Fan, with only 8 miles to go to the finish. After a diagnosis of Axial Spondyloarthritis in April 2022 and nearly a year out from specific running and Mountain Leader work, Kate is focusing on re-gaining strength and resilience in an environment she loves to work and play in. Running in the Dragon's Back Race® again is just one aspiration Kate keeps juggling with!
Kate works with an excellent group of #TeamRAW Run Guides, with experience of either working within the Dragon's Back Race® Event Team and/or running in previous editions of the race. You’ll enjoy excellent company and gain bundles advice and support as you prepare for your Dragon’s Back Race®.
Don't just take our word for it...
Thank you for a wonderful time on Recce Events for Days 1 & 3. Lou, Mike and Jade were each extremely knowledgeable, and had great area and terrain insight to share. The groups had a variety of abilities but you somehow managed to keep it all functioning and moving along to everyone's satisfaction, great skills. Can't wait to get on the next day.
I can honestly say I have had an amazing few days out on the hills with you, Lou and others over the last few weeks. You are all so professional, patient, tolerant and just so friendly (and non-judgmental when people ask questions!) If miracles happen and I make it to Cardiff to collect my Dragon, you will have definitely been part of that reason.
Kate, you and your team are a credit to RAW Adventures and the running community in general. Both Helen and Tim (plus all the other RAW Run Guides) just make these sessions so much fun and useful, it really does make training pleasurable! Even if we remember only half of the tips, half is better than zero! And the cloudy lemonade at the end of the day….nectar of the Gods!
RAW Adventures provide a high ratio of specifically experienced and qualified #TeamRAW Run Guides to allow safe and logical progression in the hills. These Official Recce Events are designed and managed as ‘guided’ events, where you can be sure of professional and seamless organisation, clarity of objectives and a feeling of being well supported and included at all times.
Teams will move together; increasing levels of safety, the ability to manage transport logistics and timings and encouraging runners to find genuine ‘running partners’ and contacts for your Dragon's Back Race® and beyond. RAW Adventures holds comprehensive insurance for mountain activities and prioritises individuals’ safety and enjoyment at all times.
#TeamRAW previous Dragon's Back Race® finishers say...
RAW Adventures' Kate, Lou, Jade and Katie were a massive help with advice on recces. Your team were a big part of me getting to the end and if anyone asks me, they will be told to see Kate at RAW Adventures!
DBR Finisher 2021
Your recces were amazing preparation and the support from anyone from #TeamRAW during the race was impeccable. It was a multi-factor team effort that got me through. It was a privilege to run and train with you
DBR Finisher 2022
I hadn’t even picked up a map before April. I couldn’t recommend your company more; it’s been an amazing experience. I never would have been able to navigate without the Recce Events. Massive thanks #TeamRAW.
DBR Finisher 2022
It was great to interact and build relationships with other Dragons, we all shared the same goal. Kate and the RAW Team were fantastic with the pace; which is perfect for beginners and pros alike. You can turn up to the accommodation, and all you had to do was adhere to timings, everything was sorted for you. It almost felt like a cool school trip, but you're allowed beer and pizza!
DBR Finisher 2023
Really good to meet fellow Dragons and be guided over the tough terrain; my confidence over Crib Goch was much improved after going over with your super supportive team. You are all so calm and reassuring which was greatly appreciated. I highly recommend RAW Recce Events - not only do you get to know the route in advance, you gain access to a helpful and supportive WhatsApp group.
DBR Finisher 2023
Without the help and support of Kate and the RAW Team I would not have completed the Dragon’s Back Race, it is that simple. My confidence in the mountains was built on the Recce Event days. I went from a road marathon runner with little exposure to the terrain and no ultra-running experience to Dragon’s Back Race finisher in five months. The experience and knowledge I gained was decisive.
DBR Finisher 2023
Recce Event costs include:
- 1-3 #TeamRAW Run Guides, depending on group size/terrain
- Time taken to plan route/transport/resource arrangements to meet Recce Event objectives
- Transport logistics and costs to accommodate linear routes
- Overnight accommodation and meals (where specified)
- Group safety equipment and communications
- Valley support driver/transport in certain locations
- Planning and preparation to ensure the best route is achieved in forecasted conditions
- Expert Dragon's Back Race® route knowledge and advice
- Copies of all photos taken by #TeamRAW Run Guides
- Dragon's Back Race® themed Multiwrap headwear
- Access to RAW Official Dragon's Back Race® Recce Events ‘WhatsApp’ groups for ongoing support
- Superb running experiences in Wales with other #DragonsInTraining!
Recce Event costs do not include:
- Personal running kit and equipment
- Personal map and/or compass/GPS device
- Food/drink for Recce Event running days
- Personal and travel insurance
- Car park/personal accommodation and travel costs (when applicable)
I'd just like to say a huge thank you to Kate and Lou for a great day out, it was great fun, and invaluable too...also great to meet up with some other DBR entrants. Lots of really good advice and tips; the wind, cloud and rain made the day even more invaluable!
Conditions weren’t easy on the last couple of days spent over Day 1 terrain, but a great learning curve for what can happen when it’s wet, windy, cold & very poor visibility. Lovely group of people, lots of laughs and smiles. Also a huge thanks to Joe, Mike & Tim who have a wealth of knowledge and experience that everyone should definitely tap into.
I think the Recce Events organised by RAW help the nervous and navigationally challenged feel some comfort and confidence to at least step up to the start line. I know Crib Goch and Tryfan seemed a little less daunting after visiting on one of the recces. The support and patience is outstanding for first time Dragons!