The Camping Leader qualification is for people who wish to supervise a camping group and develop participants’ camping proficiency by teaching campcraft activities.
A qualified Camping Leader can operate in a variety of campsites, all with vehicle access, including land with no facilities and commercial campsites offering a range of facilities. A qualified Camping Leader who also holds a Mountain Training walking leadership qualification can operate in terrain within the scope of that scheme i.e. journey and wild camp.
The Camping Leader scheme is ideal for those involved with the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, President’s Award and/or Ten Tors training among other things. The skills covered apply to groups using commercial campsites as well as wild camping.
Checklist for booking
Before you book onto a Camping Leader assessment course, make sure you have done the following:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must have personally undertaken and logged an absolute minimum of five overnight camps, ideally in a variety of contexts
- You must have assisted with or overseen at least two group camps. If personal camping has only been undertaken when also supervising a group, then these two group camps can be part of the total submitted for personal camping i.e. some candidates may need to log only five overnight camps in total. Reflective comments must accompany the group supervision evidence
- You must be familiar with the syllabus
- You must be an experienced self-sufficient camper
- You must have experience of the supervision of camping groups
- You must have physically attended and completed (i.e. not online) a first aid course which involved at least one full day or eight hours of instruction and included an element of assessment
|Course Duration||1 day|
|Terrain Areas||South East England (SE) – other locations possible for bespoke group bookings|
|Course Cost||£85.00 per person|