An exciting element of achieving a DofE Award is the Expedition. This can be a challenging aspect of the programme, but also the most fun and rewarding. There are many possibilities and outcomes for this section and young people gain a tremendous sense of achievement in planning and fulfilling their own unsupervised trip away from home.
RAW Adventures can deliver Bronze, Silver and Gold Award Expedition packages – for practice and qualifying teams. We are based in North Wales but can also deliver programmes elsewhere and have an excellent knowledge of our UK countryside and wild country to facilitate this.
There is an essential element of training included with every package, which will cover the nine elements of the Expedition Training Framework in the most practical and appropriate way, to engage participants fully and really help them to understand and embrace the knowledge and skills required to successfully command their own expeditions. Much emphasis will be placed on building confidence in decision making, route planning, navigation skills, risk assessment and dealing with emergencies and incidents as well as good group management, health and hygiene and sleeping and eating well.
All teams will be reminded of the 20 conditions of the Expedition section to make sure everyone is in agreement with what must be completed to achieve success.
When out on expedition, RAW Adventures operate a 24 hour contact service that participants and appropriate staff can use if necessary. We believe in fully supporting the condition of being unaccompanied and self sufficient, but their safety whilst on expedition is paramount.
We will supply the following elements to support a DofE Expedition section:
- Personal meeting at your location to discuss requirements and future plans
- Support to complete notification paperwork, statutory DofE administration, risk assessments and route planning
- Guidance on areas to operate in and advice on appropriate route selection
- Useful resources for Kit Lists, Food, Health and Hygiene, Route Planning, Emergency Procedures
- Fully qualified, experienced and DBS cleared Supervisors and DofE Accredited Assessors
- Campsite booking and payments
- 2 x 1:25 maps per group
- 2 x Silva Ranger compasses per group
- Friendly advice and support throughout your programme
- Post expedition feedback and reports as required for Expedition section completion
We also offer some optional items available at an additional charge.
- Presentation facilitation at the end of the Qualifying Expedition
- First Aid training input
- Group Kit Hire – tents, stoves/fuel/pans and first aid kits